Dutch G5 v3

Come talk about our DIY amp project...in english !
RW_Maxx
Apprenti sorcier G5
Apprenti sorcier G5

Dutch G5 v3

Message non lu par RW_Maxx »

Hello everybody,
I am living in the Netherlands and don’t know any French, so that make’s this website quit difficult for me to use. I play bass (mostly) and some time ago I bought an Alembic F-2B tube preamp. This preamp has a great sound and this got me interested in tube amp’s. Started reading on the internet and came across the Tube-Town website and noticed the G5 kit. This looked very interesting as a first tube amp, so I placed an order (the G5-V3 kit and some other parts). I put the kit together, put in the tube’s connected a speaker and my father’s guitar and switched it on . . . . . . . . . .
Well, it worked fine first time, no bang, no smoke, no hiss ore hum (only with all the controls at max there is some noise) . What can I say, it sounds really good. After a view day’s I decided that there is to much treble for my taste, and made some changes to get a sound more like the Alembic F-2B. I changed C1 and C5 to 100uF, in the Alembic they are 50uF but I only had 100uF so I’ll put them in. Also changed C6 to a 100nF. The sound is now much better, this is personal taste and someone else may not like it this way. I can use it now as an bass practice amp also. Even my father likes it, somehow it sounds better than his Twin reverb and he is quit enthusiastic about it. :D

Best regards, Roel
McColson
Admin du site
Admin du site

Message non lu par McColson »

Hello,

It's great to have some news of our neighbour ;-)
The G5 is bright it's sure, but like you have done, you can tweak it to your taste.
I'm very happy for you.
vitriol82
G5 Team
G5 Team

Message non lu par vitriol82 »

Welcome aboard Roel.

Happy to read that you're satisfated of your G5 and happy to read that, with minors mods, the G5 can be transformated for bass amp.

If you want more bass and more power, it's possible to change the EL34 by a KT88 (only with the version 3 of the kit), you must only change the cathode resistor of the power tube.(try with a 56 Ohm/5W). The customs output transformer and power transformer are calculate for that.

Nice to meet you and see you again
Si tu veux voir des bleus gagner, regardes Avatar :-)
haboob
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

Message non lu par haboob »

Well done RW_Maxx!!
:D
Spinoo
G5 guru
G5 guru

Re: Dutch G5 v3

Message non lu par Spinoo »

RW_Maxx a écrit :somehow it sounds better than his Twin reverb.
Wow now that's a statement ! Glad to see the G5 more than fits your needs, and don't hesitate to communicate on this board again; maybe this will encourage others to come in !

Have a good day,
Spinoo.
charpy
G5 Team
G5 Team

Message non lu par charpy »

thank you for the reporting. we are glad to know it sounds good for bass too. As vitriol82 says KT88 should a good isue for your need, the sound will be "thicker" and more tight

what is particulary difficult for you on this website? (I remember there is "somewhere" a way to translate in english all buttons)
do we have to put an english flag on the frontpage?
RW_Maxx
Apprenti sorcier G5
Apprenti sorcier G5

Message non lu par RW_Maxx »

Thanks for all the nice replies.
I certainly will try a KT88 in the near future, thanks for the tip.

@charpy
No don’t put an English flag on the front page. Please keep your own identity. The problem is that I don’t know any French, but the technical stuff (the G5 manual) is easy to understand no problem whit that (lots of pictures ). Reading de French G5 forum is difficult. There will be a lot off information, but for me it’s hard to understand. I know there are “babalefish’ translator site’s but the result is sometimes hilarious. I do use them sometimes, but its really slowing down my reading. The best solution for me would be to learn French, and reading the forums on this website will help.
I did see your list of ‘useful French word’ , that could help a lot. A little more activity on the ‘International Board’ would be nice.

Yo, Later
Répondre