G1

Come talk about our DIY amp project...in english !
sjhusting
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

G1

Message non lu par sjhusting »

Okay, I was looking at the G1 and saw I have most of the parts here, including all the iron. My experiment with subminiature (6021) tubes didn't work out so well. I'd like to try the G1. But of course I can't tell from the French description how well developed the project is. How close are you to a finalized version? Will there be any major changes or is it more optimization from here on?

steven
charpy
G5 Team
G5 Team

Message non lu par charpy »

actually there is 4 differents prototypes of G1 (two from F_da, one from oca with a 4 channels switching, and one from me with fuzz)

McColson is (or will) building one more, mabe the true G1beta. so there is not any real G1 yet :?

the most finalised G1 is from frank (F_da) and it may be simplified to 3 tubes : one for pream without cathode follower, one for phase inversion, one for "power"
here are the preamp/poweramp/power supply
http://franck.davot.free.fr/G1/prod/g1_fda_preamp.jpg
http://franck.davot.free.fr/G1/prod/g1_fda_poweramp.jpg
http://franck.davot.free.fr/G1/prod/g1_fda_alim.jpg

we all were surprised by the power, officialy "1W". it is very loud when overdrived (much more than a single watt)
this amp suits more for saturated tone, it breaks up very nicely and is very sensitive to the attacs. there is tons of compression when clean at a "high volume" so it is impossible to have "clean tone + dynamic + usefull volume"

if you just want to experiment with your parts or if you want a small practice tube amp this G1 will probably surprise you :wink:
sjhusting
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

charpy a écrit : we all were surprised by the power, officialy "1W". it is very loud when overdrived (much more than a single watt)

this amp suits more for saturated tone, it breaks up very nicely and is very sensitive to the attacs. there is tons of compression when clean at a "high volume" so it is impossible to have "clean tone + dynamic + usefull volume"

if you just want to experiment with your parts or if you want a small practice tube amp this G1 will probably surprise you :wink:
that's exactly what I want, a small practice amp, and I am starting to experiment with higher-gain stuff (like Larry Carlton or Robben Ford) and the couple of distortion effects I have (tube screamer, boss blues driver) just sound bad to my ears, the boss better than the ibanez, but the G5 sounds better overdriven than either box. So a 1W with an inefficient speaker is just the ticket. This is what I was trying to do with the 6021s, based on a couple of schematics I found in the net, but it didn't sound quite right.

I'm comparing it to the firefly, but the ef86 in the g1 looks like an interesting option.

I really need to learn French. I live right on the border. I like the food. I like the wine.
f_da
G5 guru
G5 guru

Message non lu par f_da »

Actually G1 is still under devellopment. 3 members Charpy, oca and me had build it, and it gives 3 differents shematics !!! All the 3 amps works fines, you can find shematics and samples to get your idea. But if you're interrested, you'll have to really Do It Yourself :roll: , there's no BOM, no layout, only schematics and help in this forum.

If you have question about my amp, feel free to ask me here or by MP.

Franck
McColson
Admin du site
Admin du site

Message non lu par McColson »

Yes all the schematic are different, and I have the mission, if I accepte ;-), to find a compromise on the schematic without any compromise on the sound.
I actually stock many component to build a big experimental amp.
http://matthieu.colson.free.fr/chassisproto/

But I have a little girl (1year old), and few space to work, so I work slowly.
But the G1 will be build, but I don't know when :?
bilbo_moria
Don Bilbo de la Vega

Message non lu par bilbo_moria »

"Mad Colson" strikes back

8O

:D
sjhusting
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

somebody's going to go broke buying potentiometers
McColson
Admin du site
Admin du site

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's just for test, I hope too for the potentiometers ;-) But the number of socket will be a problem too ! I want to use 4-5 noval for the preamp and 2-3 octal.
- One noval and one octal for the phase splitter,
- One or two noval for the reverb.
- One noval and one octal for the rectifier.
- double pp of noval and double PP of octal

So near : 13 noval and 9 octal...

After drilling the chassis, I take a week of vacations ;-) And after I start the G1 ;-)
McColson
Admin du site
Admin du site

Re : G1

The kit is online steven ;-)
135€ (incl. VAT, excl. shipment) at tube town
Répondre