G5 Questions

Come talk about our DIY amp project...in english !
Uhl_j
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

G5 Questions

Message non lu par Uhl_j »

I said I'll be back and guess what? I am back!

The G5 is my first amp and I built only a few stompboxes before.

Now I have a problem with the screws. The kit was deliviered with a screw kit but I'm not really sure what screw to use for what.
There are many smaller, fatter ones (ca. 4 cm diameter) and I think they are for the transformers and the inductor. And there are 4 screws with have cross slots and 2 long screws (which may be used for the ground).
With what screws do I mount the board with the distance things and what screws do I need for the tube slots and what for the power plug? I'm a little bit confused. Or may be I'm just too stupid.

(If the ong screws are used for the ground, can I just solder the wires on it or should I use something like on the board)
mathieu2703
Translator

Re : G5 Questions

Message non lu par mathieu2703 »

Hello!

It's explained there http://www.projetg5.com/upload/bilbo/ManuelG5.pdf , page 12/26.

In the red circle, there are for the 220V supply.
At the upper left corner, there are for the terminal strips.
Just under, there are for the transformers.
And finally at the bottom, there are for the tubes.

Enjoy! :D
Uhl_j
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

Thanks a lot.

Is it necessary to make a little hole or can I just drive the screws for the tube sockets in the chassis?

In the layout you made the ground on the screws of the transformers. Is this alright?
mathieu2703
Translator

Message non lu par mathieu2703 »

I think you should make little holes before. It would be cleaner.

For the ground on the screws of the tranformers, I'm sorry but I can't answer. I didn't find the layout of the G5 amp, and I didn't build one yet. :(

Someone else will answer you. :wink:
Uhl_j
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

Thank you for your answers, I was on vacation and now I'm back.

My G5 is built and it is working. (After some Troubleshooting with the TT Forum)

But I have a question about the tubes. A lot of the builders of the previous version said that every tube can be put into the G5 and you don't have to worry about the bias.
I've tried to find something in the french forum, but my french is sooo bad. Sorry.

Can I buy some Tubes to see how the sound changes? Of course they must have 8 pins.

Greetings
vitriol82
G5 Team
G5 Team

Message non lu par vitriol82 »

Hello

If you have builted the version 3 , you can install the "bias system", and so you can use:

6V6 and similars
6L6 and similars
EL34 and similars
KT66 and at least the KT88 lamp, just according the bias current for each lamp with the bias system.

That's what I do, and it works well, and you can choose your power and sound
Si tu veux voir des bleus gagner, regardes Avatar :-)
bilbo_moria
Don Bilbo de la Vega

Message non lu par bilbo_moria »

Only my position here : I have a G5 V1 and I usually "swap" between EL34, 6L6 or 5881 for noticeable sound changes, without any bias adjustment :oops: even if I should ...
Uhl_j
G5 bidouilleur
G5 bidouilleur

Okay, I think I will try to replace them and make mesaures if it fits. I can use the bias document in the dowload area.

Okay two more questions and I'm done.

I'm planning to install an triode/Pentode switch. But I'm not sure what switch I should use and how to make the wiring. From the Pin 4 of V2 with the 1k Resistor to the middle Pin. One Pin is connected with +B and the other with Pin 3 V2. Is this okay? But do you know which switch?

Second question. My G5 is very clean. I hope i made everything right. But with the strat, it is clean all the way. How can I get more crunch. Is it possible to make the Resistors at the entry (those with 68k) smaller. What will the result be like?

Greetings
bilbo_moria
Don Bilbo de la Vega

Message non lu par bilbo_moria »

For pentode/triode switch, see there, for instance :
http://www.projetg5.com/upload/bilbo/sampbilbo.html

Which switch ? I have used a "small one" (let's say for a low voltage stompbox) and it works well, but I think that, for safety reason, you should preferably use a "big one" like this :
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/produc ... N-OFF.html
Répondre